The sailing vessel Roald Amundsen sailed into Weymouth Harbour a couple of days ago. Currently, she is moored up in the customs holding “quarantine” area, so it is difficult to get a good photo – we hope she will be moved further down the Harbour soon and we will try to get a better view.
The Roald Amundsen is a brig, deadweight 480 tonnes, bearing a German flag. She is 50 m long with 7 m beam and she was built in 1952 as a steel-hulled ship, originally named Vilm and operated out of Peenemunde as a supply tanker for NVA (National People’s Army), refitted in 1992/3 as a brig (repurposed and configured in a similar manner to Pelican of London).
She currently operates as a training vessel for LLaS (LebenLernen auf Segelschiffen e.V) and her home port is Eckenforde in Schleswig-Holstein. In our photo, one can see a crew member attending to the upper (lifting) yards (five sails per mast, 3 masts). On the ground, supplies were being logged, ready for loading.